Sunday, February 19, 2012

Perpetual Ambassador

I'm back in the city where I grew up in from time to time.

I thought I would never see this place again, as if it were some closed chapter in my life.

Obviously I was mistaken.

I've also remembered a task I've often had to undertake in the past here.

This City is very International and you'll find some the best educated and talented Europeans here. You have some of the most amazing conversations and enlightenment here and you will also meet fellow Americans.

The word "Friendship" takes on a much higher meaning here and you learn very quickly what your equal obligations are.

I luckily always had a head-start here, language wise, being that my Mother came from here and knowing how to be and to speak German makes life a lot easier.

I'm very proud of the Americans I've met who are respectful and assimilate very quickly here, in a most natural way,

But,

There is also another element here that stares you in the face everyday and you try to avoid at all costs,

Ignorant Americans

I know the general rule that you find good and bad anywhere you go and based on the US Military presence here, this theory is a Universal constant here. I don't even want to go into detail about some of the embarrassing morons I've encountered here.

There's a saying that people are their own best Ambassadors,

If that's true, then my psuedo job as a "Perpetual Ambassador" is underway again.

"Damage Control" is the best word I can use to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment